Tuesday 15 September 2015

Anything but Broken (Hurricane Creek #1) by Joelle Knox

BLURB
After five years, tragedy brings Hannah Casey back to Hurricane Creek to bury what’s left of her family. She’s flunking out of college, haunted by scandal, and the only person who cares is Sean Whitlow, an irresistible bad boy with a soft spot for her. The problem? He’s her dead sister’s ex.

Sean doesn’t bleed red, he bleeds motor oil. During the week, he struggles to turn his auto repair shop into a profitable business. But when Saturday night rolls around, he’s the reigning stock-car king of the local race track. He doesn’t know how to lose–or how to walk away and leave Hannah alone with her grief.

Between her grades and her wealthy family’s dark secrets, Hannah’s barely holding her life together. And the last thing Sean needs is to get tangled up with another Casey girl. As the attraction between them spins out of control, they’ll either find a love with no limits–or go up in flames.


REVIEW
I received a ARC from the publisher (via netgalley) in exchange for a honest review.
3.75* review. I did really struggle to come with a rating for this as I had mixed feelings about the book. Even though I did really enjoy it I didn't feel it had enough in it to class it as a NA book. I read a lot of NA books and this just felt more YA to me which is a genre I hardly ever read.
This is the first book in the Hurricane Creek series that is wrote by the writing duo Donna Herren and Bree Bridges known together as Joelle Knox or as other pen names Moira Rogers and Kit Rocha. Although it can get confusing for me as a reader to have the author have so many different pen names I understand why they do it because each pen name has a different writing style so it keeps everything separate and you know exactly what your getting. This is their first move into the NA side of writing and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised as I did enjoy it although I do feel it was more on the YA side.
This is a very emotionally charged read based around tragedy and how you eventually deal and move on from that. Hannah I did like by the end but at first I just couldn't connect with her at all and she just got on my nerves the way she acted. I understand what she's been through but I just couldn't relate or connect to her. I did however love Sean and he's what made this book for me as well as the secondary characters who I can't wait to read more about in future books.

PURCHASE LINKS

No comments:

Post a Comment